Despite the fact that mint has many different medicinal uses, my personal favorite uses are culinary. I realize that summer is drawing to a close, but maybe you can squeeze a few more days out of it by drinking my favorite way to use mint… The Watermelon-Mint Agua Fresca! I’m partial to this particular recipe from Epicurious:
- 1/4 cup (packed) fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup sugar or your favorite sweetener(I think sugar tastes best)
- 5 cups peeled, seeded, coarsely chopped watermelon
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- Mint sprigs for garnish
- Combine mint leaves, sugar, and 1/4 cup water in a small pot. Bring to a boil and stir until sugar has dissolved. Transfer mixture to a heatproof container and chill, uncovered, until cool, about 30 minutes.
- Strain mint syrup into a blender; discard mint leaves. Add watermelon and lime juice and blend until very smooth. Using a fine-mesh sieve, strain into a pitcher; discard solids. Add 2 cups water and stir well to combine. Serve with mint sprigs.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!